Sunday, July 10, 2011

Time to get on the road. Destiny unbound!


So it's about that time again. Time to hit the road. I figure it isn't hot enough around Wisconsin this time a year so I better head down near the equator. This year the plan is to spend 5 weeks traveling through most of Central America. My buddy, Jon Cramer, aka Cramer and I will be flying into Cancun and then taking a bus to the border of Belize the first day. Then from there it's pretty open ended. The general plan is to hit Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, and fly home from San Jose, Costa Rica on August 15th. Bus will be our main mode of transportation.

One of the hardest things is figuring out what to bring on a trip like this. Since I went to SE Asia last year I think I learned a thing or two. The main rule is also pack as light as possible. Sometime that is easier said than done. This year I think I did a fairly decent job.











Well everything I wanted to bring fit nicely into my Kelty backpack. I even bought a little carry on thing to store all my electronics, passport, and books, etc. It may also be known as a man purse. Hahaha. But I have a feeling it will come in handy. I am bringing running shoes, tevas, 4 pairs of socks, 5 pairs of underwear, 6 shirts, 2 shorts, a long sleeve button down camp shirt, swim suit, two pairs of pants, a belt, 2 hats, and what I'm wearing to the airport. Traveling on a plane these days is kind of a hassle now with the TSA grabbing peoples "stuff" and everything. Not only that, but you can only take 3 oz bottles of liquids, gels, etc. And they must all fit into ONE small quart sized bag. Oh well, its better to know than to have to throw a bunch of expensive sun tan lotion and bug spray away like I had to last year. One thing I can't seem to get a way from is all the electronics and cords I need to bring for my Ipod, Kindle, Cell phone, camera, etc. They do make the trip more convenient and enjoyable, though. The clock is ticking. A few more hours and I'll be headed to Chicago. Let the adventure begin!

2 comments:

  1. Mark, you should've planned to spend some time in Cancun right away! Its absolutely beautiful there, and there are some fantastic historical sites very close by. Well, there's always next time! Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive packing! I'm quite amazed. Let me know how that goes. You are taking a trip I have longed to take for many years now, Belize, Costa Rica, etc. etc. Take lots of pictures and post them for us, please! :)

    Enjoy the adventure (I know you will)!

    ReplyDelete