Sunday, July 25, 2010

Our last night on Koh Phangan and Back to Bangkok

Well it is our last night on Koh Phangan and we're still staying at the Haad Yao Bungalows. Its time to say farewell to the island and take in the island vibe one last time. The night before I hung out with Mam and Oa and we kind of tentatively agreed to do some Karioke if we can find some. Cramer and I go back to Mam's shop and get our nightly massage. (Side note: all the massages I got were pretty professional and most of the shops are legit, just like getting a massage back home.) We even convince Mam to get one too. (She had 2 in one day! I guess that's what happens when you own the shop) After getting stretched and loosened up we're ready to go out. This time Cramer is actually awake and wants to go out! OMG. Hahaa. We decide to grab a drink at a place down the street. It is pretty dead there. We just shoot some pool and Cramer and Mam team up to kick Oa and my asses. Oa keeps saying, "Jon and Mam #1 at snooker". She can't speak English that well so she always says people #1 at things if they're good. Mam must know whats going on on the island all the time or something, because she is the one who took me too the Reggae Bar the night before and also knows of another beach party called the Moon Set Party at the Pirate Bar on another beach close to Haad Yao tonight. Mam drives us in her truck to the party, there is no one around, but we can hear a beat in the background coming from somewhere. We keep walking and come to a place on the beach with a bar and big DJj booth, people dancing, and guys/ girls twirling fire around. There is only about 30-40 people but it seems intimate, but at the same time everyone is getting down. Its perfect. Cramer and I did the Half Moon Party, which was a big ass Rave in the jungle with 100's of people there. This is much smaller, but I'm loving it way more.

I've been reading the book, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo the whole trip, I finally found her- it was Mam. So we get some drinks and our getting down on the beach to some beats. According to Oa, "Oa is the #1 dancer tonight, me #2, Jon #3, and Mam #4." Suddenly these girls come up to me and ask if I was in Siem Reap, Cambodia about 2 weeks ago. I was, I talked to one girl named Jess for like 10 minutes in a internet cafe there. She and her friends are from Portland, OR. All the girls were super excited to see me! I'm like "sweet". The whole month I was here I met maybe 10 Americans. Like I said earlier its mostly Europeans, English, German, Dutch, French, Australian, South African, and Canadians. Every time I think I hear a American, it turns out to be a Canadian. The girls are having a great time and we talk about there trips. They are leaving on the same day as Cramer and I. Jess is in purple, she's staying one more week and doing the Full Moon Party in Haad Rin.


Cramer is loving it too. He finally got going! We're all dancing on the beach, with the waves crashing, and the ocean breezes easing our minds for one last night.
Get your boogie on!
Now that's a tasty: an Oa, Sommer, Mam sandwich!
People getting down on the beach for the Moon Set Party. Every party here is about the moon. They have some kind of moon party just about every week or more: Full Moon, Half Moon, Shiva Moon, Black Moon, Moon Set, maybe more. Guys and girls were doing the fire dancing. Anyone could try it. Some were really good, others not so good. It was fun to look at though. We party until about 4am or so. Maybe later. We head back home. When we get back all of us walk down to the beach. Mam isn't feeling too well. She had too many Barcardi Breezers... whoops. Cramer goes to bed, and I'm left with Mam and Oa on the beach. Oa is kind of sleeping and I sit and talk with Mam till the early morning about Life and stuff. We finally make it back to her shop, they live in the back. The girls pass out, as I leave at 6am I hear Mam praying to the porcelin goddess one more time. Sorry for getting you drunk two nights in a row!
The next day we buy our tickets to Bangkok, by VIP bus. And hang out with the girls for a few more hours. Cramer gets the older lady that works at the shop to give him one last massage. She is more like a Physical Therapist though and works on Cramer and his knee for a good 2 hours. I get treated to some awesome home cooked food. All this time and I finally get a meal that tastes authentic and healthy. Thank you ladies! You made the last few days in Koh Phangan some of the best of the whole trip. We thank them and wave good bye as the taxi takes us to the ferry for our bus ride back to Bangkok.
This food tastes great, its simple but super delicious. Fresh vegetables that you dip in a sauce that's almost like a Thai salsa. White rice, some spicy cooked vegetables, some scrambles eggs, and some kind of soup.
This is where Mam apparently spends most of her days. Chilling in the hammock outside her store!

No comments:

Post a Comment